October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month
Saturday, September 29, 2012
In observance of Cyber Security Awareness Month, EITS will be focusing on increasing
awareness about several new information security services now available for faculty,
students, and staff.
- An updated information security website is now available which provides easier access to important security information,
policies, and best practices. The new site is organized by resources available for
faculty, students, and staff.
- A new service called SendFiles is now available which allows faculty, students, and staff to send email attachments
containing sensitive information or to send file attachments that are too big for
- A new easier way to access wireless throughout campus is now available. The PAWS-Secure wireless service is now available to all students, faculty, and staff throughout the Athens campus.
All campus constituents are encouraged to use this secure ubiquitous service, which
requires only a one-time setup. Once a device is configured for PAWS-Secure, it will
remain connected to the wireless network throughout the Athens campus.
- A new informational section related to security awareness is now available. This page includes on topics like phishing, malicious advertising,
online checklists, and helpful online links.
- An updated face to face training on security basics is now available. The Basic Computer
Security Boot Camp covers basic security requirements for UGA and techniques for safer
computing and internet use both at work and at home. This class is being offered on
October 24. To register for this course, visit the UGA Human Resources Training and Development site.
In addition to these new services, EITS will also host the fall Computer Health and Security Fair on October 31st from 9:00am to 3:30pm in the Miller Learning Center 2nd Floor Lobby. The fair offers free anti-virus and malware removal, security checks
and consultation, and general troubleshooting for personal PC and Mac computers.
For more information on Cyber Security Awareness Month activities, please contact the Office of Information Security.