Friday, July 28, 2023
EITS will conduct network maintenance that will result in periodic, intermittent outages of campus Internet access and campus information systems on Sunday, October 1, 2023, from 6:00 a.m. until midnight.
If you are aware of activities planned during this maintenance that you anticipate will be impacted and would like assistance with planning, please contact Rayid Tartir at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please share information about this maintenance with faculty, staff, and students in your units.
Key Points for the October 1, 2023 Network Maintenance:
- UGA’s Telephone Services will experience sporadic outages during the maintenance. In case of an emergency, it is important to remember to use a cell phone to contact UGA Police by calling 911 instead of 706-542-2200. The UGA Police Department will still respond to all calls for service during this time. Members of the campus community are reminded that 911 is always the appropriate number to call for an emergency on campus. In the event of a future interruption in landline phone service at UGA, cell phones should be used to contact police.
- Elevator emergency phones may not work when telephone service is disrupted, and cell connectivity in elevators is unreliable in some buildings. It is recommended to use stairs to the extent possible during the time of the maintenance.
- Building fire alarm panels may beep continuously until the phone connection is restored and possibly beyond if the system does not reset automatically. During the outage time, there is no need to call the UGA Police Department or Facilities Management Division to report this issue. However, employees and students should remain aware and notify the UGA Police Department if they observe any indications of fire or smoke.
- Systems that use services in the UGA Boyd Data Center will experience outages. This also includes UGA websites hosted in the Boyd Data Center. The University’s primary web site at www.uga.edu is hosted off-campus and will remain available.
- UGA’s Single Sign-On (UGA SSO) also will experience outages. This means individuals will not be able to log in to many UGA-provided information systems, including the following:
- Athena, Banner Administrative System
- Degree Works
- eLearning Commons (eLC)
- UGA Elements
- UGA Financial Management System
- UGA Budget Management System
- OneUSG Connect
- OneUSG Connect Benefits
- UGA Libraries digital resources including databases, e-books, online journals and more
- Individuals will also experience outages accessing:
- Websites hosted by UGA
- Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- ArchPass Duo
- Information systems hosted by EITS
- Wireless networks will experience brief sporadic outages during the maintenance, including Paws-Secure, Eduroam, and UGA_Visitors_WiFi.
- EITS Storage Services including IFS, Research IFS, and Secure IFS will be unavailable.
- All systems behind the UGA Boyd Data Center departmental firewalls will experience outages to their access to the UGA network.
- All systems in the Hosted Area will experience outages.