OneDrive for Business now available
Tuesday, September 30, 2014
The University of Georgia has expanded its services with Microsoft’s Office 365 platform to include OneDrive for Business, a cloud-based solution for storing, syncing and sharing files.
Along with UGAMail and calendar services, Office 365 for all UGA students, faculty and staff now includes OneDrive for Business under the same account.
OneDrive for Business makes it easy to collaborate with multiple people on files across different web browsers and operating systems, including iOS. OneDrive for Business also features 1 TB of file storage for each individual with an account.
Some benefits of OneDrive for Business include:
- Real-time collaboration editing documents using the online Office Web Apps or Office client apps
- Sharing files with others and managing who can edit documents
- Accessing the same files via a phone, tablet or computer
UGA students, faculty and staff previously had free access to OneDrive (formerly called SkyDrive) under their Microsoft consumer accounts.
OneDrive for Business is different than OneDrive. A OneDrive account is tied to a personal Microsoft consumer account that is not managed by UGA. An OneDrive for Business account is tied to an institutional UGAMail (Office 365) account that is managed by the University.
There are several ways to access OneDrive for Business:
- Any web browser on any device by visiting ugamail.uga.edu. Once logged in to UGAMail online, the link to OneDrive for Business is in the top blue bar on the page
- Desktop client for OneDrive for Business installed on computers with a Windows operating system. A desktop client for Mac OS X is expected to be available later in 2014.
- Microsoft Office 2013 software installed on computers with a Windows operating system. This is expected to be available for Mac OS X later in 2014.
On mobile devices, there are several options to access OneDrive for Business:
- Any web browser on any device by visiting ugamail.uga.edu. Once logged in to UGAMail online, the link to OneDrive for Business is in the top blue bar on the page.
- OneDrive for Business app for iPhone and iPad with read-only access.
- Microsoft Office Mobile app for iPhone with the ability to edit, open and create files.
- Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint individual apps for iPad. Students can create and edit files. Faculty and staff can only view files.
- Microsoft Office Mobile app for Android with the ability to create, open, edit and save files for students, faculty and staff.
The EITS Help Desk website has step-by-step instructions on using OneDrive for Business. All UGAMail accounts have access to OneDrive for Business.
For assistance with OneDrive for Business, please contact the EITS Help Desk at 706-542-3106 or firstname.lastname@example.org.