How to Report an Information Security Incident
For a fast response to any ongoing computer security incidents, please call the EITS Help Desk at (706) 542-3106 and provide details and contact information.
The incident response team will contact you as soon as possible to get additional information and to provide instructions for the next steps to take in responding to the security incident.
If for some reason you cannot get assistance by calling (706) 542-3106, you can report incidents by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. However, response times may be slower for incidents reported via email.
Attention: IF YOU KNOW OR SUSPECT THAT THE COMPROMISED SYSTEM CONTAINS SENSITIVE DATA, PLEASE TAKE THESE STEPS IN RESPONSE:
- Do not attempt to investigate or remediate the compromise on your own,
- Instruct any users to stop work on the system immediately,
- Do not power down the machine
- Remove the system from the network by unplugging the network cable or disconnecting from the wireless, and
- Report the incident using the instructions above.
If you are unsure what qualifies as sensitive data as defined by University of Georgia Policy you may wish to view the Data Classification and Protection Standard.
As a University System of Georgia (USG) institution, UGA follows a USG prescribed notification process when information security incidents occur.
Please visit the University System of Georgia Incident Management page for more information on USG policy, standards, and guidelines.