Bronze Level Service Details
General EITS NSP Policies
- The unit is asked to select one member of their staff to serve as their Customer Liaison
with EITS NSP. The Customer Liaison:
- Serves as the technical point of contact between the unit and EITS NSP.
- Provides feedback, as needed, on the services provided by EITS NSP.
- Has other responsibilities defined in a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).
- EITS is committed to providing excellent service. In this rapidly changing technical
environment it is impossible to maintain a high level of technical excellence without
employing a sound technical training strategy. EITS recognizes this need, therefore
we encourage EITS NSP personnel to maintain industry certifications and regularly
attend relevant training courses.
- EITS NSP maintains a robust set of documentation on our customers’ equipment and logs
detailing changes. This allows all EITS NSP staff members to provide the same high
level of service to all units without the need to dedicate a single staff member to
a single unit.
This section defines the services to be provided. This list includes a description
of what a Bronze Level customer can expect relative to the service being provided.
Since network support is a collaborative effort between EITS NSP and the people in
a client's organization, this section also outlines the responsibilities of all persons
involved in the support effort, including the EITS NSP support staff and the Customer
- It is highly recommended that units subscribing to the Bronze support level keep their
equipment under a vendor maintenance contract or warranty.
- EITS NSP technical support staff will be available to units subscribing to the Bronze
support level. Units will be charged a fee of $60 per hour for remote support or $85
per hour for onsite support.
- If EITS NSP support personnel are engaged for network problems of unknown origin,
and the cause of the problem is determined to be due to the EITS equipment, the unit
will not be charged the hourly technician fee.
- If EITS NSP support personnel are engaged for network problems of unknown origin,
and the cause of the problem is determined to be due to the unit’s equipment, the
unit will be charged the hourly technician fee.
- EITS NSP will provide consulting on switch specifications for purchases at no charge.
- EITS NSP maintains a stock of spare parts and equipment that may be utilized for immediate
replacement and restoration of service in case of unit-owned hardware failure. This
is done on a best-effort basis as it is not financially feasible to maintain a completely
redundant inventory of spare equipment. The terms and conditions of this service are
detailed in a separate agreement.
Unit Use of EITS Equipment
- If units are provided switch ports on the EITS building router or other EITS-owned
switching equipment, any changes made will be performed by EITS NSP and the unit will
be charged the hourly technician fee.
- If units are provided switch ports on the EITS building routers or other EITS-owned
switching equipment and need additional capacity on these devices, it will be the
responsibility of the unit to provide funding for any additional equipment or components
required. The terms and conditions for this are covered in a separate agreement.
Unit-Owned Switch/Router Configuration and Installation
EITS NSP provides switch and router configuration and installation for unit-owned
equipment on a fixed-rate fee schedule. The one-time fees per switch/router are listed
Issues will be classified as follows:
- Severe – Loss of service or severely degraded network performance that affects the
entire unit, an entire building, or a critical application.
- Moderate – Loss of service or severely degraded network performance that affects a
building floor or an important application.
- Routine - Issues not significantly impacting production services.
- Onsite support is available between 7:30 AM and 5:00 PM Monday through Friday on normal
- Limited helpdesk support is available until 10:00 PM Monday through Thursday and from
1:00 PM to 7:00 PM on weekends.
- Helpdesk support is not available on the day of home football games. Onsite support
may be severely restricted on those days.
- Response time during normal business hours is:
- Severe – Upon receipt of call.
- Moderate – Within one hour of receipt of call.
- Routine – Within one business day or receipt of call or as scheduled with the unit.
- On call support after hours is available for all severe and moderate problems.
- After hours support is available by calling (706) 542-3106.
EITS NSP Access to Equipment
EITS NSP support personnel must have access to the EITS equipment in the unit’s building(s)
for non-working hours maintenance windows and after hours support. This will require
that EITS NSP either have keys to the building and MDF or that personnel with access
will meet EITS NSP on site as needed. If EITS NSP cannot gain access to the equipment,
the issue will be addressed the next business day.
Prioritization of Support
- In case of multiple network issues on campus, units subscribing to the Gold support
levels will be assisted before units subscribing to the Bronze support level.
- If multiple units subscribing to the Bronze support level are experiencing network
problems and all technical resources within EITS have been exhausted, support will
be prioritized based upon the number of users impacted.
- Routine maintenance is performed outside of normal working hours.
- The unit’s Customer Liaison will be notified of any planned routine maintenance at
least 48 hours in advance. If this routine maintenance will cause disruptions to any
planned activities, the maintenance will be rescheduled.
Main Data Closet (MDF) Restrictions
- For security, support, and network integrity reasons access to the MDF must be strictly
managed by EITS NSP.
- EITS NSP will work with units having equipment in the MDF to address these issues
and develop solutions that will ensure the integrity and security of EITS equipment.
If EITS NSP and the unit determines that moving non-EITS equipment is not practical,
the unit will be responsible for funding security devices for the EITS equipment.
- Change management will follow the standard EITS NSP change management process (available
- The Customer Liaison has access to all change management logs that pertain to the
EITS equipment upon request.
- The Customer Liaison will be included in any change management discussions that are
not part of the standard EITS change management policy and will be informed prior
to the change.
Metrics and Reporting
EITS NSP will report the following metrics for the EITS equipment providing service
to the unit to the Customer Liaison on a monthly basis if requested:
- Trouble tickets received and resolution time
- Performance of the network
Other metrics are available at the request of the Customer Liaison.
- Active devices are calculated by the entries in the unit's IP space in Proteus.
- Units utilizing NAT (network address translation) must report the number of devices
that have been NATTED in the six months prior to March each year.
- The number of devices used in the monthly fee calculation may be reevaluated if a
significant number of devices are added to or subtracted from the network in a building;
for example due to renovation or repurposing of rooms. Any fee changes will be discussed
between EITS NSP and the unit.
Responsibilities and Roles in the Support Partnership
The Customer Liaison
The Customer Liaison is typically (but not necessarily) a member of the unit’s IT
support staff and understands the customer organization, its work processes, and its
people. As a member of the customer organization, the Customer Liaison is able not
only to report network problems, but assist EITS NSP support staff in how to best
help both the organization as a whole (e.g. by knowing its priorities) and the people
who work in it. The Customer Liaison:
- Ensures that all requests assigned to EITS NSP are properly defined, and that the
relative priorities of multiple tasks are clearly established.
- The Customer Liaison and the EITS NSP support staff work as a team.
- As an expert on the customer organization and its people, the Customer Liaison contributes
an analysis of the organizational and human context of the support environment to
the decision making process.
- EITS NSP support staff, as experts on the needs of the network, contribute an analysis
of the technical content of the support environment to the decision making process.
- Both are necessary for making sound decisions about assigning tasks and customer priorities.
- As task assignments and priorities are planned, EITS NSP normal and required basic
networking maintenance tasks must be included and assigned priority consistent with
maintaining a secure and repeatable standard of performance for all customers.
- Maintains regularly scheduled contact with the EITS NSP Program Manager and:
- Provides immediate feedback to the EITS NSP Program Manager and EITS Associate Director
when problems with the delivery of EITS NSP services arise.
- Understands that a minimum communication standard requires a brief conversation between
the Customer Liaison and the EITS NSP Program Manager on a monthly schedule. Either
the Customer Liaison or the Program Manager can initiate the communication.
- Developing thorough regular conversations establishes a rapport that is crucial in
problem situations, including unplanned outages and emergencies.
- Represents the customer organization, and is expected to understand the responsibilities
of the customer organization as the owner of data transmitted over the network. Although
EITS NSP, as the custodian of the customer’s network, plays an important role in helping
the customer organization meet its obligations under the University’s policies, the
customer organization’s delegation of operational support does not abrogate its overall
responsibilities under University policies.
The EITS NSP Technical Support Staff
The EITS NSP technical support staff is responsible for supporting the unit’s network.
- In terms of the networking equipment, the EITS NSP support staff is expert on the
equipment’s needs, and has knowledge about both the routine tasks that need to be
accomplished and how to address problems that arise.
- Maintenance task priorities are assigned by the Customer Liaison, who not only takes
into account the organization’s priorities and the needs of individual users, but
also the routine technical tasks necessary for proper network operation and maintenance
required by EITS NSP. It is the responsibility of the EITS NSP support staff to communicate
these essential tasks and their importance to the Customer Liaison.
- Ensures that all tasks assigned by the Customer Liaison are clearly understood, and
that the relative priorities of multiple tasks have been clearly established.
- When appropriate, EITS NSP support staff will provide a written status report to the
NSP Program Manager, EITS Associate Director, and the Customer Liaison. These reports
will be required if significant work has been performed, if significant support activities
for the near future are planned, or if there are any concerns with the unit’s network
and/or network equipment.
- If the EITS NSP support staff feels, at an time, that proper maintenance of the network
cannot be accomplished, regardless of the reason, it is the EITS NSP support staff’s
responsibility to contact the Program Manager immediately so that a quick resolution
of the problem can be achieved.
- Keeps TeamDynamix tickets, logs, and documentation up to date.
The EITS NSP Program Manager
The EITS NSP Program Manager manages the activities of the EITS NSP support staff.
The Program Manager ensures that the network equipment is serviced correctly and punctually
and that customers are satisfied that they are receiving high quality service delivery
from EITS NSP support staff. The Program Manager:
- Maintains regularly scheduled contact with the Customer Liaison.
- "Regularly scheduled contact" means at least a brief conversation with the Customer
Liaison on a monthly basis. The regularity of this conversation is an important part
of the quality assurance process.
- If the Program Manager feels, at any time, that there is a problem with any aspect
of the delivery of EITS NSP services, it is the Program Manager’s responsibility to
contact both the Customer Liaison and the EITS NSP support staff immediately so that
a quick resolution of the problem can be achieved.
- Ensures that a survey of the unit’s users is performed at least once a year in order
to determine their level of satisfaction with EITS NSP services.
NSP Service Contact Information
- Tier 1: Call EITS Help Desk – (706)542-3106
- Or submit a TeamDynamix request ticket online at /support/request
- Tier 2: Steven Duffee, IT Senior Manager –
- Office (706)542-3459; Mobile (706)201-2101; email@example.com
- Tier 3: David Stewart, Associate Director–
- Office (706)542-0363; Mobile (706)255-9114(24/7); firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tier 4: Jeff Teasley, IT Director –
- Office (706)542-7802; email@example.com
The client will provide an after-hours contact for issues requiring their involvement.