Desktop Support Service Details
Support will be provided remotely or on site at the request and convenience of the
client, within a maximum if one-hour response time. The level of service provided
will consist of an estimated average hours per week of desktop support. Unless a Memorandum
of Understanding (MOU) is amended in writing, hours when on-site visits can be requested
will be between 8AM and 5PM Monday through Friday with holidays taken in accordance
with the University of Georgia’s operational calendar. This schedule may vary slightly
according to a client request made in advance; however, any permanent long-term change
to client scheduling will require an MOU amendment. Support requests will be logged
and shared with the client on request.
Basic computer maintenance of the client departmental desktop or notebook computers
located in the offices and labs of faculty, staff, employees, or students:
- Facilitate hardware maintenance or repair in conjunction with existing warranties
and hardware support contracts
- Installation and configuration of security and antivirus software for computers in
client IP range
- Diagnose and troubleshoot computer hardware problems, including:
- Coordinate warranty repairs with the appropriate vendor
- If the item is not covered by a warranty, the desktop support staff will recommend
a replacement or repair of defective hardware, with such repairs to be completed at
the discretion of the client
- When the client elects to use other UGA units or outside vendors to provide repair
service, then the client will pay for these repairs. Alternatively, in certain instances
the client may elect to purchase necessary materials to complete the repair
- The client agrees to be responsible for any incidental charges necessary in the event
of other component failure that may occur in the process of the repair
- Installation and upgrade of supported operating systems (OS)
- Installation and upgrade of supported desktop application software products
- Installation, setup, and troubleshooting for client-owned computers, printers, scanners,
and other peripherals
- Evaluate, recommend, implement, and maintain a virus protection strategy
- Evaluate and recommend standardization procedures for supported software
- Manage and track software licenses.
Delivery of Computer Support for client faculty and staff
- Requests for service can be initiated by the client via the submission of a request
via the Web or by contacting the EITS Help Desk at 706-542-3106 or email@example.com.
- Desktop support may be provided via a remote support portal and can when needed use
this tool to diagnose and repair issues remotely.
Network Connectivity Management
- Basic troubleshooting of physical network wiring and facilitation of additions. The
coordination of the replacement or repair of faulty wiring with the appropriate auxiliary
campus unit or outside vendor as needed. The client shall bear any such costs involved
with these units.
- Installation and configuration of network interface cards in desktop computers.
- Manage Internet Protocol (IP) address assignment consistent with UGA and client standards.
Consultation and support of new technology related purchases/projects. Examples include,
but are not limited to, the following:
- New lab purchases
- Providing quotes for new faculty and administrative desktop computers
- Completing CESS and other forms specific to IT purchases
- Install and setup new computers
- Provide purchase order tracking for IT technology
- Computer peripherals and related technology
- Consulting for grants utilizing technology
- Storing or accessing restricted data such as SSNs, credit card numbers, external financial
account access information or HIPAA data from a desktop or other device that can also
access the Internet is not supported. EITS will work with clients to move these functions
to a secure environment and/or secure the device being used for these activities from
Desktop Support Services Contact Information
Tier 1: EITS CTS Assistance – firstname.lastname@example.org
Tier 2: Thomas Jones, IT Senior Manager – (706)542-6292, email@example.com
Tier 3: Shannon Marable – (706)542-9689, firstname.lastname@example.org
The client will provide an after-hours contact for issues requiring their involvement.